The reason for why online casinos are nowadays every bit as popular as their land-based counterparts, is that players cherish convenience over anything else. By playing from home, you are always within your comfort zone regardless of stakes and a lot of time and energy is saved. The problem is that when online gamers put their luck to the test in brick-and-mortar casinos, many are unfamiliar with the etiquette and unwritten rules.
In order to enjoy the best gaming experience in a UK land-based casino, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Most of these recommendations are common sense ones that don't need to be spelled out, but it is always preferable to be given the heads-up. You only get one chance to make a positive first impression and it would be quite a shame to embarrass yourself and those accompanying you.
9 simple rules to follow when visiting a live casino
- Contrary to popular belief, there is no need to wear a suit or anything extremely elegant when stepping inside a land-based casino. Just make sure that you are well dressed and none of the clothes you wear can be regarded as offensive by other casino customers.
- The higher the stakes, the more likely it is for players to lose their temper but this is no excuse to be rude to your peers or the dealer. When you find yourself in an upsetting situation, refrain from using foul language and accept loss as a fact of life, while waiting for a new chance to win.
- Roulette and other popular games attract huge crowds and players need to mind their peers when placing bets. Make sure you don't disturb fellow players and be aware of what happens around you, so all those involved enjoy a pleasant gaming experience.
- It is okay for players to take their time in land-based casinos, but do your due diligence and undertake research before sitting down at the table. All you need to do is to be familiar with the basic rules, so that other players won't have to wait for the dealer to explain everything before each round.
- When you step inside a UK brick-and-mortar casino with a friend who doesn't speak English, you need to be extra careful at the tables. The language we use should be the language of the casino, otherwise fellow poker players might jump to conclusions. Collusion is not acceptable and that's why it is better to refrain from chatting in a foreign language that nobody understands.
- There is nothing wrong in speaking your mind, but whenever you have something interesting and witty to say, think twice about the impact of your words. What seems harmless and even funny to you might be offending, so don't say anything without thinking it through.
- Under no circumstances it is acceptable to criticize the dealer or casino staff. Keep in mind that they are simply doing their job and they have nothing to do with your upswings or downswings.
- When in doubt about the rules or whenever you feel like someone is cheating or trying to gain an unfair advantage over the field of players, ask for a supervisor. UK land-based casinos are very strict about fairness and security and your request will be handled by a representative. Players are in no position to negotiate the rules or enforce their own rules.
- Drinking alcohol is not necessarily a good thing, because it impairs your ability to play your a-game but if you have to do it, make sure you drink with moderation. Alcohol abuse frequently leads to problems and you wouldn't want to be thrown out after throwing a tantrum.